For a hundred years, the Casino Zane, built between 1695 and 1697 at San Polo near the Basilica dei Frari, housed the entertainments of the Zane family, who resided in the adjacent Palazzo Zane. As an engraving by Carlevarijs shows, the main palace (now a training school, the Istituto “Livio Sanudo”) was separated from the Palazzetto by a formal garden. The building next to the Palazzetto was originally a library, which no longer exists. In 1682 the workshop of Baldassare Longhena – the most distinguished Venetian architect of the Baroque period, who designed Ca’ Pesaro and Ca’ Rezzonico – completed the restoration of the Palazzo Zane commissioned by Dominico Zane (d. 1672). On his death the latter had bequeathed his property and an important collection of books and paintings to his nephew Marino. Marino Zane then commissioned the building of a casino (now the Palazzetto) and a library to house the collection left to him, which he had subsequently enlarged.